Re: Swap

So, what you say is if you don't have, you can't hibernate?

> I am curious: why and how?  IIUC, neither suspend nor hibernate use
> swap.  Or have I misunderstood?
>
> Hibernate, in particular, saves everything to disk so RAM should not be
> an issue.  I could see, maybe, how suspend may need some swap, mind you,
> as it does use RAM but very little over and above what is currently
> being used by the running programs?

You misunderstood something.

Hibernate does need swap, because hibernate means that *the entire
content of your RAM is saved in the swap* and reloaded from there when
power resumes.

Suspend OTOH does not need swap, because the state is kept in RAM.
That's why suspend needs a little bit of power: RAM needs powe, or it
will loose it's memory.

Cheers,
Bennett

--
GPG fingerprint: 871F 1047 7DB3 DDED 5FC4 47B2 26C7 E577 EF96 7808