Re: No Grub after install Debian 8 on laptop

Dwijesh Gajadur wrote:
> Hannu Virtanen wrote:
> > I tried to go through the Expert Install as you suggested however
>
> I did not see any option to directly install grub. Can you tell me
> where this option is found?
>
> I don't remember it exactly.
>
> Certainly some others can remember it better.
>
> I think that you have to start the installation with selecting the
> language, the keyboard, etc. before you can see it.
> To install grub must be one of the last things to do.

Instead of reinstalling I would start by trying the debian-installer
in rescue mode.  That is one of the advanced options at the
installer.  Boot the installer just as if you were going to install
but then select Advanced Options...  Rescue Mode.

Rescue mode will start by asking you questions about keyboard and look
just like it is installing but will have "Rescue mode" printed in the
corner so you know you are rescuing and not installing.  Get through
the initial setup questions and then go directly to the menu and
select the grub installation section.  Look carefully at any errors.

Use Alt-F4 to switch to the tracing console.  Use Alt-F1 to switch
back to the main interface.  Hopefully it will print something in the
debug tracing window that will indicate what problem it is having.

I am expecting that there is an error of some sort and therefore it
can't install grub on your system.

Note that the rescue mode can also boot into your installed system.

Bob