Re: Problem in changing permissions for a directory

On 4/30/15, Arghya Das <arghya0190@gmail.com> wrote:
> why cant i change values of this file : /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
>  I tried to change ownership of the directory but :
>
> my_username@019:~$ sudo chown my_username /proc/sys/net/ipv4/
> chown: changing ownership of `/proc/sys/net/ipv4/': Operation not permitted
>
> Can someone help to solve the problem plz..

Hi.. I don't have an answer for you but am still writing to let you
know that you're not alone. I tried it myself just now "just for
kicks" to see if I could do the same on mine, and I'm being denied,
too. I even took the extra step of attempting it under "su" which will
work sometimes when I've been denied actions via "sudo". Still didn't
work.

At least now you know it's not just you. Hopefully another member has
insight as to why it would be set up that way..

One thought: It might help other members if you explain why you're
trying to change the permissions. Sometimes there's another angle you
can come at things from if others know what you need to accomplish. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape(d sewing machine) *