Re: Installing Debian with only 64mb RAM

On 04/18/2015 03:43 PM, peter.schleichmann@t-online.de wrote:
Hi there,
I've found an old laptop (MAXDATA Artist Stanford) with 64mb ram and tried to install a minimal Debian system. The installer warned me about low system memory but I could continue. I didn't select any additional kernel module and continued again. After loading basic system components (like lilo installer, netcfg etc) the system showed a black screen with a white flashing cursor. And that's it. The installer doesn't go forward.
How can I complete my Debian installation? I tried to add lowmem=2 and lowmem=1 to the boot options of the Debian installer, but the problem stays unresolved.
Can I disable network support (I saw that the system tried to load wpasupplicant and so on which I don't need)? Or is it possible to use a swap partition or a “swap usb-stick” for the installer?

If there is no solution with the Debian installer, is it possible to install Debian manually?

Maybe the Debian kFreeBSD kernel is smaller.

Thank you for any help!

Peter

Kind regards,
Jan-Rens.