Thanks to all who answered about broadcom firmware

Dear lknoppix and debian user*s list.

Thank you for all your answers.  There is enough for a partly blind and
very old man (79) to work through in the next week.

Linux is quite different from the open system, I am used to be on.  I have
noticed that Linux uses several partitions on the disk, where NetBSD
only uses one
which can be a part of an extended.partition.  NetBSD comes with a tiny boot
selector of its own.  So there is a lot to learn.

The reason, I have decided to go Linux as my second system is that NetBSD
has a built-in Linux-emulator in its kernel to take care of systems like Adobe
and Flash, and sometimes it uses rather old versions of libraries and binaries
from Suse to run such binaries.

Thank you again for all your answers

Hans