Re: Unable to log-in

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Robert Stone wrote:

> Hello, some days ago I updated my laptop and the next time I switched it on it tells me my password is invalid.

> However, what I need is some assistance on how to recover from this tragedy. My /etc files are all backed up, as is other stuff.

Boot into grub, select single user (recovery) but do not press enter.
Press e to bring you into edit mode.
Scroll down to the kernel line, it starts with "linux
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6[...]"
Scroll to the end of that line and press space key once and type

init=/bin/bash

Press Crtl x to boot.

Remount / as rw:

mount -rw -o remount /

Change password with:

passwd

type your new password, hit enter and reboot.