Re: Debian on Acer Aspire E15

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Geoff Simmons wrote:

> For device support on your Wheezy system, you would need to install and
> use a backported Linux kernel available from the wheezy-backports
> repository.

OK, I've got back to this again, and I now understand about the need for
backports etc.

Silly question: exactly how do I use "aptitude" to download and install
firmware-atheros_0.43~bpo70+1_all.deb?  Assume that I'm new to Linux.

/etc/apt/sources.list:

# backports for prop. stuff
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main non-free

What I tried:

root@debbie:/home/dave# aptitude install firmware-atheros_0.43~bpo70+1_all.deb
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
root@debbie:/home/dave# aptitude install firmware-atheros_0.43~bpo70+1_all

And again without the .deb suffix:

No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
root@debbie:/home/dave#

What am I not doing?

PS: After I get this going, I can untether the thing from the Ethernet,
and then work on the proprietary trackpad, the proprietary brightness, and
the proprietary video...

PPS: FreeBSD sees the Atheros wireless, but NetBSD doesn't; odd.

Thanks.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)   "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)