Re: debian wheezy does not support Atheros AR956x Wireless card‏

Hi Fanghua!

Can you please tell me if you have a computer nearby where your notebook currently is that has Internet connection (by observing the fact that you download and also send mails I presume you have)? Your problem is only in your wireless from what I can tell based on your message. This means that your Ethernet LAN port is working. If so, you can easily establish a bridged connection between your notebook and the computer that is connected to the Internet thus being able to share the connection. It takes a matter of a couple of clicks to get it up and running. I have a workstation at home that I don't want to connect to the Internet all the time and I use my notebook to redirect my Internet connection (router<->wireless adapter on notebook) to it via an Ethernet cable. You can do exactly the same and then you should be able to download all dependencies. If you have Internet access somewhere else but for some reason you cannot share the connection (work, school, too far away etc.), Debian provides DVDs with packages that you can use as an offline source for resolving missing dependencies.

Regards,
Aleksandar

PS: In the future ALWAYS try a live version of Debian or whatever distribution you want to install (if live version is provided) before going straight for the final installation. Although from my experience live version and the installed one differ when it comes to things working or not (in Debian Wheezy live version for example on my Sony Vaio VPCEB3M1E none of my AltGr keys were working yet after the installation most of those worked), it is much better then falling into a pit such as this one you are currently in. And it is definitely more accurate then a virtual machine, where hardware (which is culprit number 1 for most problems on notebooks) is de facto not the real one on the host.