Re: debian wheezy does not support Atheros AR956x Wireless card

On 9/6/14, fanghua ye <fanghuaye@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> since many days I am dealing with installing debian wheezy on Acer Aspire
> E1-532.
> First I tried the Net installer, sadly the Atheros AR956x wireless card was
> not detected :(.
> I guess a driver is needed and found compat-wireless-3.6.6-1-snpc.tar.bz2
> which seems to include a proper driver for the wireless card.
> Then I installed wheezy with debian-7.6.0-i386-DVD-1.iso. Later I realized I
> could not nistall the driver, since there is no connect to internet.
> I could also not use "make", since only base system was installed and it is
> impossible to install build-essential pakage due to the dependences of
> pakages :(.
>
> Does any body have experinces on it and any suggestions?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance and have a nice day!

I am still really new at some of this harder core stuff but... how did
you get your ISO? Did you buy a disk or did you download and burn it?

If you're working off a purchased disk, I'm stumped, at least for the moment.

If you downloaded and burned your own ISO, meaning you have Internet
access via another operating system, does anyone have an opinion on
whether debootstrap or anything comparable might help in this case?

I'm brand new at using deboostrap. I *REALLY* LIKE IT. One of the
pluses of it was supposed to be being able to install what sounds like
firmware here while using Internet access via a host operating
system..

Unfortunately I can only question it as a possibility because my
several attempts to install Internet access into mine have failed..
Haven't found the right trigger yet once the base software is
debootstrapped in. Attempts to install additional software appear to
keep installing into the stable host operating system's hierarchy,
among other things. *oops*.. :)

Cindy :)
.
--