Re: new laptop specs: i7 CPU, graphics card, & RAM

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:29:11 +1100
Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:

> Don't get me started on website efficiency.  These days a lot of
> websites collect resources from lots of locations and have heavy

RequestPolicy is good for that (in addition to the privacy advantage).
I find that most websites need just one or two additional locations (a
CDN, static image server, etc.) enabled to get usable, attractive
rendering.

> javascript usage.  So, lots of URI locations, lots of code, lots of
> pretty pictures and flash as well.  There was a time when surfing on a
> 512/128 connection was fine, but now you need much faster just for the
> bloated webpages AND the CPU power to process all the scripts that you
> almost always need at least some if not all to get a working webpage!

That's a pretty serious exaggeration. YMMV, I suppose, but I find that
most pages (excluding ones that require login, or involve a/v, etc.)
work perfectly well with JavaScript disabled. [The one area I often
have trouble with is comment systems.]

Celejar