Re: new laptop specs: i7 CPU, graphics card, & RAM

Hi,

On 29/10/2013 6:35 PM, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> IMHO, the i7 is for Windows-Games only, one of the best features of i7
> is, that one core can speed up more than others. which is helpful for
> gaming on windows, or other tasks which can only run on one CPU core.

Isn't the speed up, significantly larger on one core (but still there
for other cores), a feature from 2nd [perhaps 3rd] generation i5/i7 CPUs ?

An i5 might give you 2 cores and with hyperthreading 4 threads; an i7
will give you 4 cores and 8 threads ... for not much more.  The inbuilt
Intel graphics might be a consideration too.

There are also other capabilities to consider as well, like the "AES New
Instructions" which will help with crypto (luks).  Virtualization
capabilities.  Which chipset, what socket type ... the list goes on.

There are other features to consider as well, how much memory is
supported for just one more.

> the other thing is, with i7 comes 1xUSB3 on the X220

Often motherboards have multiple sets of chips to handle USB 2.0 and USB
3.0 needs beyond what the /main/ chipset offers.

Oh and some newer 5400rpm drives perform better than other 7200rpm
drives as well.

You have choice, buckets o choice, have fun!

Although I am astounded at how many laptops max out at 8GB of RAM and
also the number that have 1366x768 displays.  Most newer systems should
be able to offer at least 16GB if needed and at least FHD displays,
particularly if sub 5-inch displays can do FHD on mobiles.

Don't get me started on website efficiency.  These days a lot of
websites collect resources from lots of locations and have heavy
javascript usage.  So, lots of URI locations, lots of code, lots of
pretty pictures and flash as well.  There was a time when surfing on a
512/128 connection was fine, but now you need much faster just for the
bloated webpages AND the CPU power to process all the scripts that you
almost always need at least some if not all to get a working webpage!

Cheers
A.