Re: new laptop specs: i7 CPU, graphics card, & RAM

I have a $550 thinkpad x220 (from ebay):

CPU Intel® Core™ i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz × 4 (really two, with
hyperthreading)
GPU Intel HD 3000
RAM 16GB (another $100) 2x8GB
HDD 7mm 1TB 5400rpm (another $100) encrypted w/ LUKS
SSD mSATA 64GB (another $100 :P) encrypted w/ LUKS

Daily I run ~3 VMs w/ virtualbox (win, GNU/Linux, osx), iceweasel with
~100 tabs >.>, icedove, some mp3 player, gnome-shell while driving two
1080p displays (1 on VGA, one on DisplayPort)

It's quite speedy! Sometimes gnome-shell animations aren't smooth, but
everything runs well. I used to have 8GB, but the computer sometimes
became rather unresponsive with all 3 VMs running.

:)

The important thing is getting enough RAM. The x220 is nice because it
has 2 RAM slots, 2 mSATA slots, a 2.5cm x 7mm SATA slot, & can drive 2
displays…

I can't complain.