Re: Measures against overheating / Was: static or dynamic /dev

Interesting topic:

few days ago I was playing with idle3-tools on WD that was clicking due to head parking every 2-3 mins. In 24 hours of work I managed to gain 600 load cycles. Interesting that Micro$oft is not making this kind of problem to HDD. With idle3 I put idle time from 80 (8sec) to 3000 (5 min). Now - no clicking but heating is going up to 42-43degC. Is this temperature degrading HDD...Should I keep it cooler and how?

Also - tried to do the same thing to old PATA drive with 200k load cycles (also WD). Idle3 is obviously not working on PATA. I have return it to living with a lot of effort.
Is there any way to reduce numbers of load cycles on PATA drives?

Bladan