Re: static or dynamic /dev

sting wing wrote:
> Question: how does a person know if their /dev is a static or dynamic /dev

This is when it changed:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#s-kernel-udev

That was way back in Etch 4.0.  So any system newer than that, Lenny,
Squeeze, Wheezy, Sid, will have a daynamic /dev.

> i am reading an how to article at
> http://www.debian-administration.org/article/327/Monitoring_your_hardware's_temperature
>
> and their are two instructs one for dynamic /dev
> and the other for dynamic /dev

That article is from 2006.  I think it is safe to assume that you have
a dynamic /dev these days.  Meaning that you don't need to run MAKEDEV
anymore.  Just load the modules and let that trigger creation of the
associated devices in /dev.

I will also note that the hddtemp project mentioned in that article is
pretty much dead.  It came up for discussion elsewhere which is why I
am familiar with it.  I don't know if the tool still works or not.  If
so then great.  If not then I would use the smartctl -A to dump the
hdd temperature sensor data and extract it from there.

Bob