No sound on earphones after setting up HDMI

Hi,

I just can't hear anything from my earphones.
The notebook is a Lenovo�G460-06777VP, which has this soundcard:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)

Today I was trying to set up HDMI to connect to the laptop. The video output was fine, but the audio one was not.
I had to run the following commands to make audio work:

# m-a update
#�m-a prepare
#�m-a a-i -t alsa-source

This last one downloaded and compiled something.

I also had to create file /etc/asound.conf containing the following line:
pcm.!default hdmi:Intel

Finally, HDMI video and audio were fine.

Later, I removed the HDMI cable and decided to use the earphones. Now they simply output nothing!
I removed the /etc/asound.conf file and still have no sound. Rebooted and nothing.

The laptop speaker is fine, the earphone too. The sound port is fine, too (I booted using a LiveCD).

How can this be fixed? Thanks.