Re: Mini-PCI WifiCard experience?

I usually check the FSF hardware database:

   http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw

and then other resources, if I can't find what I need.

I recently bought a USB wireless adapter and I am pretty happy with it.
It is GNU/linux compatible (Realtek 8187). It uses the same
chipset as the Netgear WG111v3 USB which is listed at the FSF site:

http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/index_html/cards.html

You can find the specs here:

http://store.netgate.com/ALFA-AWUS036H-80211bg-500mW-USB-Adapter-P61C28.aspx

You plug it and it works. I am using gnewsense with a 2.6.24-24-generic
kernel. As an aside, you can test hardware which is free as in freedom
by downloading a gnewsense live cd:

http://www.gnewsense.org/Main/HomePage

The current version is based on ubuntu, which is based on debian, and
therefore you will find it familiar. I understand that the next
gnewsense release will be based on debian. I normally use debian, and
gnewsense to test hardware, codecs etc.

> How can someone guarantie, the OSS driver are  working  and  confrom
> to international law?

I am in Italy and the law fixes a limit of 20dbm (AP + antenna) for
normal usage. Otherwise, you should have a special permission from the
authorities. The USB wireless adapter came with a 5dbi antenna, within
the limits imposed by the law. The antenna can be replaced with a more
powerful one, so it is my responsability not to use an antenna wich is
not legal in my Country, or to use it only if I get the required
permission. This has nothing to do with free/OSS drivers, the same USB
wireless adpater will work with windows and macs (and corresponding
proprietary drivers).

Loredan