Re: Disk continually spins down even on AC

Dne, 08. 03. 2011 00:44:38 je Virgil Brummond napisal(a):

Is there a reason that the disk is not setting appropriate levels by
default, I would think that it would only desire to spin down on battery
power and not on AC.

In my view, the most you can expect of Debian is "reasonable defaults". Users not satisfied with those simply have to modify them. Why would you think that the disk should be setting "appropriate" levels by default? And who's to say what "appropriate" is? What may be appropriate for one user, might be totally unacceptable to another.

If I manually add "hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda" to /etc/rc.local this issue
is worked around. Note I do not have laptop-mode installed, and my point is I really do not want spin-down at all, and at worst only on battery.

As I see it, tweaking hdparm is the default way of fine-tuning your hard drive parameters in GNU/Linux. Why would you consider that a "workaround"?

Thank you for your time, and I hope I can help nail down this issue. The
workaround will be enough for now.

Hmm, I'm afraid don't see any issue in need of being "nailed down". Again, what kind of solution would you define a "true solution", as opposed to a workaround?

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.