Re: lenny -> squeeze, questions ...

2010/11/27 Gérard Robin <g.robin3@free.fr>
> Finally I stick with lenny and the kernel 2.6.30 (or 2.6.26)
> I feel that listening music on command line is no longer fashionable.

It has nothing to do with fashion.

I normally rip all my CDs in FLAC and play them from library but
intrigued by your issue tried to play music directly from CD and got
same results - disc spins up but no sound. I found that some players
spin CD up with no sound even in GUI - that's, for example, the result
I got in Amarok. But I got good results with SMPlayer as well as bare
command-line mplayer. The command to play CD with mplayer is "mplayer
cdda://" to play the whole thing, "mplayer cdda://3" to play only
third track, etc., you can look it up in man. I've had to do couple
tweaks to get mine working properly, namely I changed "ao=alsa," to
"ao=pulse" and uncommented "cache=8192" line in
/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf.

While browsing around I noticed people saying that DAE has hit on
drive throughput as well as CPU load but in my case CD is on separate
controller from SSD and it takes less then 1% of the CPU, my only
concern is mplayer's memory footprint.

I know I had CDDA working without DAE before on my ThinkPad (couple
years ago when I was still under Windows) so maybe it has something to
do with PulseAudio, I'm not sure. I remember that I had install
PulseAudio manually after upgrade to Squeeze, so unless you did the
same issue is most likely with ALSA.

Best,

Alexey

--
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons