Re: lenny -> squeeze, questions ...

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 11:51:04AM +0100, Paul eger wrote:
From: Paul eger <egerpaul@googlemail.com>
To: Alexey A Nikitin <moonwalker@syrius.us>, debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: lenny -> squeeze, questions ...

Or search the repository:
apt-cache search command line cd player

----- Original message -----
2010/11/26 Gérard Robin <g.robin3@free.fr>
> > Hello,
> I would like to migrate to squeeze but I have a few questions :
> (My box is a laptop acer aspire 5102 wlmi )
> Currently I use lenny and linux-image 2.6.30 and all work fine.
> I have installed linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 and after that "cdcd" doesn't
> work fine. The CD are read but no sound. The same problem arises with
> "grip" but "sound-juicer" works fine and does about the same things
> that "grip" does. Does someone know an equivalent to "cdcd" which
> works fine with squeeze ? (which comes with linux-image-2.6.32-5-686)
> tia

Hi, Gerard.

If you want to find an alternative to certain package you can always
go to http://packages.debian.org, open page with package you want to
replace and on the right side there is list of similar packages. For
example here are the results I got for cdcd in Squeeze:

cdtool: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/cdtool
mdcp: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mcdp
Thanks Paul,
"apt-cache search command line cd player" gives cdcd ;)
but I have tried cdtool and mcdp recommanded by Alexey and the problem
is the same as cdcd. (thanks to Alexey)
Finally I stick with lenny and the kernel 2.6.30 (or 2.6.26)
I feel that listening music on command line is no longer fashionable.

--
Gérard