Re: PCMCIA Does Not Work Dell Latitude C510/C610 with Lenny

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Stefan Welte <post@stefan-welte.de> wrote:
> Hi Duane,

<snip>
> Which linux distribution runs on your C610?
> Whick kernel runs on your C610?

2.6.26-2-686 is the kernel running in Debian Lenny (KDE 3.5.10).
2.6.31.12-0.1-debug is the kernel I'm using in openSUSE 11.2 (KDE 4.3.5)

KDE 3.5.10 runs great here.  I haven't tried KDE 4.4 but understand
there are performance improvements over 4.3.5 which is a bit of a
challenge.  KDE 4.3.5 runs fine in openSUSE.  I haven't tried it in
Debian yet.

Xfce runs great.  Gnome, especially the later versions, can be a
little bit of a challenge (which surprised me).

As far as your actual question, besides Debian Lenny and openSUSE
(both KDE), I've run Debian Xfce, Xubuntu Intrepid, Kubuntu Karmic,
Linux Mint 7 (Gnome), Linux Mint 8 (Gnome), and Linux Mint 7 Xfce.
All installed fine and ran.

I could not get past the LiveCD for Fedora KDE but will try it on
another, slightly more up-to-date laptop -- maybe this weekend.  Linux
Mint 8 (Gnome) ran better than Linux Mint 7 (Gnome) but I still had
some graphics issues.  I had some interesting graphic anamolies in
Kubuntu Karmic that were not quite as pronounced or bothersome in
Linux Mint 8 KDE on my other laptop but I don't have an easy way to
install Linux Mint 8 KDE as I do not have a DVD reader on this box.

While I am enjoying the benefits and features of openSUSE (and can
certainly recommend it) I am more accustomed to Debian and distros
derived from it.  KDE4 has some clear advantages over KDE3 in appeal
and at least some functionality.  KDE3 has some clear advantages over
KDE4 in crispness.  openSUSE and Linux Mint have a lot going for them
in more cutting edge (at least compared to Debian Stable/Lenny) and
while I enjoy using them, I really prefer Debian especially since most
of the multimedia I enjoy is now available without upgrading to
Squeeze or Sid.  (Although I did play with a Sidux LiveCD for a bit
and am still considering installing it at some point.)

But I'm afraid I'm really quite conservative.  My idea of multimedia
is playing ripped CDs (usually mp3 but I've been playing around with
Ogg lately) and an occasional You-tube video.  On a rare occasion I
will load a DVD (not here, though).  I'm more of a webmail, forum,
spreadsheet kinda guy than a 3D Gamer.

For basic computing needs on the C610, I really have no need that
Debian Lenny w/ KDE 3.5.10 cannot deliver (or Gnome or Xfce for that
matter).  If I want something more cutting edge openSUSE or Linux Mint
fit the bill nicely.  If I want bleeding edge...I will have to get
back to you on that.  ;-)