Re: Debian squeeze on Samsung N220: almost working very well but no control of brightness

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:03:58 +0000, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> I recently acquired a Samsung N220 laptop (Intel Atom N450 chip, 10"

[...]

> which I cannot seem to control in any way: I cannot adjust the
> brightness of the display.  The display is stuck at a fairly low level
> of brightness, suitable only for use in a dark room.

For the records/archive, I have found the solution myself after a bit
more googling about.  The Samsung N150 would appear to be quite
similar to the N220 and this page [1] provides a very comprehensive
set of instructions on configuring the N150.

Brightness control can be achieved through 'setpci', specifically

   setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=xx

where xx is a hexadecimal value between 00 (off) and ff (very bright).
00:02.0 is the PCI address for the VGA controller, not the display
controller.

The web page [1] provides a script which makes using this easier and
shows how to link the script to the function keys.  I haven't tried
this yet; I'm just happy I could up the brightness enough to read the
screen comfortably!!

Thanks,
eric

[1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samsung_N150