Re: rollback X, SIS671/771

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:54:37AM +0000, Sebastian wrote:

> I have a SIS 671/771 graphics card in my laptop (Fujitsu Esprimo
> v5535) which has always given me grief. It was running smoothly with
> resolution up to 1024x800 however with a driver I downloaded from the
> net[1] on my debian squeeze/sid (apt prefers testing).
>
> After the xorg update from last night though the downloaded driver
> (sisimedia) stopped working and even after a good bit of fiddling with
> xorg.conf I only get the vesa-driver running (800x600). Which is - of
> course - not very nice...
>
> So, two questions:
>
> 1. How can I rollback my X to the way it was before?
> 2. Anybody had any success with the mentioned graphics card?

1. I have an S3Virage that incurred similar issues.  I have
backed up all my filesystems, freed up the space, and installed
a fresh Lenny with good results so far.  Hopefully I will not
have time to debug further but if I do, I will follow-up on d-u.

2. I am satisfied the graphics hardware is still functional.  I
am not sure whether the issue is in the 2.6.32 kernel or Xorg.
I do know 2.6.32 breaks my old SCSI support!  Sid has finally
forced me to return to the good old days.  And my Lenny install
was not a piece of cake for this experienced sysadmin.  "I KNOW
engineers--they LOVE to change things!"  --Leonard McCoy, M.D.
--
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"'So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe.'"
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________