Re: cs: pcmcia_socket0: cardbus cards are not supported

Hi Stefan,

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:57:48AM +0100, Stefan Welte wrote:
> the cardbus/pcmcia-wlan-card (11ab:1faa) doesn't work on my laptop
> with debian lenny, 2.6.26-2-486:

What laptop do you have?  Your provided lspci output appears to match
against the "Mentor 620" model (Intel Pentium MMX 200) made by Rock
Computers.

If this is correct, are you using BIOS version 1.38? [1]

> dmesg shows:
> cs: pcmcia_socket0: cardbus cards are not supported.
[..]
> another card is working in the pcmcia-slots, so the slot is ok.

Is your other card a 16-bit or 32-bit (CardBus) PCMCIA device?

> possible, suggested solutions:
[snip]
> but with pci=assign-busses,pci=biosirq,pci=routeirq,irqpoll as
> kernelparameters it don't work.

Did you try these parameters separately, or all together?  Try
pnpbios=off,pci=noacpi instead.

AFAIK, use of the pci=assign-busses workaround should not be necessary
since Linux 2.6.18.

> A differnce is that damnsmalllinux uses cardmgr, debian not.
> Can I set up cardmgr on Debian Lenny somehow?

cardmgr (part of pcmcia-cs) is deprecated and only usable with Linux 2.4
and earlier kernel versions.  It was removed from Debian post-Etch.

> Have cardbus cards been supported earlier/in former versions and now
> support stopped completely?

CardBus devices continue to be supported by the Linux kernel, subject to
driver availability (which you intend to workaround using NDISwrapper).

> Would installing Debian Sarge with kernel 2.6.8 solve the probelm?

I would not recommend this as Sarge is no longer supported.

Geoff

[1] http://www.rockdirect.com/support/search_more.php?id=356