Re: Help Installing Lenny on IBM ThinkPad R51 2887-MQ5

> My main objective is to have least software.
> I do a lot of video encoding, .vob files to x264.

You may need to add debian-multimedia repository[1] after the install
to get full multimedia support. AFAIK, avidemux and x264 are available
only in the debian-multimedia repository. However, please be aware
that debian-multimedia is a 3rd party repository not covered by the
debian project. It works fine for most of us but your mileage may
vary.

> Is it a good idea to install everything on one partition i.e. whole Hard Disk ?
> Or should I make partitions at the time of installation ?

Since you have only 512MB RAM, it would be best if you made a swap
space of around 800MB-1GB. And as previously suggested a separate 20GB
or so mount point say /videos for the videos files would be safe
because your system won't get bogged if this file-system fills up. You
may also want-to consider XFCE/LXDE instead of GNOME/KDE but a default
KDE/GNOME desktop should be perfectly usable at 512MB.

> May I know what are the software packages are included in the "debian-500-i386-DVD-1.iso.torrent".

The DVD contains a lot of software that you wouldn't want on a minimal
system. Net-install is the way to go. You will  end up downloading
less than 1GB of packages if you go the net-install route.

[1] http://debian-multimedia.org

--
Gireesh