Help Installing Lenny on IBM ThinkPad R51 2887-MQ5

Intel Celeron M processor 1.3 GHz, 512 MB RAM.

After reading and understanding for a month about Linux Distros, I have decided to install Lenny in my laptop.
My main objective is to have least software.
I do a lot of video encoding, .vob files to x264.
I am still reading Debian Official Guides and forums for more familiarity of the OS.
I have also decided to run only Lenny on my Laptop.

My system has 37.7 GB Hard Disk space.

Is it a good idea to install everything on one partition i.e. whole Hard Disk ?
Or should I make partitions at the time of installation ?
So if I use Separate ( partitioning scheme ), how do I allocate disk space seperately for each partition ? And I have read somewhere issues about shutting down. May i know which command should I use to shut down the system.

I have one more issue.
I am downloading the iso dvd image through bittorrent.
May I know what are the software packages are included in the "debian-500-i386-DVD-1.iso.torrent".

I have only one system. Any suggestions or ideas or warnings are helpful for me.

Thank You,
@Bhagya :-)