Re: external VGA port problem

--- On Fri, 2/27/09, Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Alexander

I've got a Thinkpad X61 which works an external monitor using xrandr in
conjunction with a modified xorg.conf; Ive not looked at s3switch.

My partner's using the same combination on an Acer Aspire.

Basically, you set the screen size in xorg.conf to cover both screens eg.:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
Virtual 2048 768
EndSubSection
EndSection

and then run xrandr from the command line as user eg:

xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1024x768 --pos 1024x0 --output VGA --mode 1024x768
--pos 0x0

which puts the Laptop display on the right with the menu/panel etc.

HTH

Regards

Clive

-----------------

Hi,

thank you for the discussion about the
VGA problem.

I asked earlier about the same problem
with my laptop hp nx9005.

Now I got it working.

1)
I put that script on 'xorg.conf'

2)
I used 'grandr' tool to put the external
screen on.

3)
I used that 'xrandr' script command on 'terminal'.

And then it worked. It seems to be that both
steps 2) and 3) are needed. I probably didn't do
that earlier in the correct order...

- hv.