Re: Thinkpad T23 external VGA port problem

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
Hi!

I recently got a Thinkpad T23 (S3 Inc. SuperSavage IX/C SDR (rev 05)
graphics adaptor) which works very well with Lenny.  However, I have
problems using the external VGA port.  According to the Thinkwiki[1] I
tried to use "s3switch" to enable / disable the output to internal LCD
and external CRT. The wiki page mentions a needed patch for  the
s3switch tool; the link is dead, but I found a patch a [2] (patch
applies quite clean; with an offset of 4 lines).

Works so far so good; although I still get some segfaults from time to
time (but at least I'm able to enable external CRT).  What I haven't got
working so far is to enable *both* internal LCD and external VGA port.

Every time I try that, the external CRT is enabled and the internal LCD
get's black and I get a segfault :(

Has anyone got that working or knows a working patch for   for
an IBM Thinkpad T23? Or is there an other solution?

Hi Alexander

I've got a Thinkpad X61 which works an external monitor using xrandr in conjunction with a modified xorg.conf; Ive not looked at s3switch.

My partner's using the same combination on an Acer Aspire.

Basically, you set the screen size in xorg.conf to cover both screens eg.:

Section "Device"
       Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier      "Default Screen"
       Device          "Configured Video Device"
       Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
       DefaultDepth    24
       SubSection      "Display"
       Depth           24
       Modes           "1024x768"
       Virtual         2048 768
       EndSubSection
EndSection

and then run xrandr from the command line as user eg:

xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1024x768 --pos 1024x0 --output VGA --mode 1024x768 --pos 0x0

which puts the Laptop display on the right with the menu/panel etc.

HTH

Regards

Clive