Re: Lenny. How to add WPA encryption to installer?

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 21:09 +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>         Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>                 On 2/26/09, Robert Goley <ragoley@> wrote:
>
>                         Not sure about this on the Lenny installer.
>                         If the wpa_supplicant command exists, you can
>                         probably write out the config file by hand and
>                         start up the wireless  interface by hand.
>                         Definitely the longer way to
>                         do it...

WPA isn't supported during the installation of Debian. Only WEP is
supported.
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s03.html

>                 Not sure if any extended commands/utils are existing
>                 in installer. I was unable to locate even something
>                 simple, like 'top', etc.

Debian installer isn't a full Debian system, it is a tiny set of tools
(a few Mb).

>                         I would recommend using a live cd (preferably
>                         Kubuntu Live Install CD)  and then install
>                         Lenny using debootstrap.

That's the complex way to do it!

Simply Install a Debian Desktop from CD/DVD, then enable the wpa.
Note: That's odd, but gnome CD1 (debian-500-i386-CD-1) don't have the
package wpasupplicant (so you also need CD2).
on the other hand, debian-500-i386-kde-CD-1 and debian-500-i386-DVD-1
does have it.

>                 Would you, please, point me to these 'howtos' or
>                 'mans'? I am a rookie and need big red letters to
>                 understand a thing.

Hope this helps,

Franklin