Re: pcmcia wifi card not recognised

Hi Jim,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 05:42:47PM +0000, Jim Burton wrote:
> At Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:01:58 +0000,
> Jim Burton wrote:
[snip]
> > It is an Edimax EW-7108PCg. I can't see any revision or version
> > number.
[snip]
> Uhh, then I realised I needed to build the module and load it. So I've
> done that and now rt2500 appears in the output of lsmod. Hopefully I
> am gradually getting on the right track :-) There is no
> wlan0 or other wireless device in ifconfig though.

Do you receive an "eth1" interface instead? (ifconfig -a).  This is the
interface naming convention used by the rt2500 enhanced legacy driver IIRC.

If not, your device uses a different Ralink chipset.  If it was a RT2500, this
should have been detected and claimed by the rt2500 driver.

There are two EW-7108PCg variants, run "lspci -nn" and examine its output to
determine yours.  If "1814:0201" is shown, it's a RT2500.  If "1814:0301" is
shown, it's a RT2501/RT2561, which is supported by other drivers
(rt61/rt61pci).

The fastest method for device support available to you is to install an
"Etch-And-A-Half" (2.6.24) kernel.  This will provide a rt61pci module, which
was added to the mainline kernel at this time.

You will also require firmware to be installed for your device.  There is more
information and an installation procedure available at
http://wiki.debian.org/rt61.

Geoff