Re: Wireless Card Atheros AR5007EG - does it work in Debian?

Hi nvangogh,

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 06:06:15PM +0000, nvangogh wrote:
> I was trying to connect to the net through my laptop's wireless device. The
> wireless network adapter is as stated in the heading.
>
> It does not work out of the box in debian - is there a driver to support this
> device? It works in windows which came pre-installed.

The Atheros AR2425/AR5007EG PCI-E wireless LAN chipset is supported by the
ath5k driver [1] as of Linux 2.6.27.

As Debian Lenny/5.0 is supplied with Linux 2.6.26, you are required to install
a later kernel version for support of your device.  Backported kernel image
packages are available from backports.org [2].

Geoff

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/ath5k
[2] http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions