Re: Setting up a network connection with the card 3CXE589EC (3com)

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:34:21 +0000 (GMT)
Tobias Ruff <lisemint@ymail.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody out there using debian,
> I'm trying to make the network card 3CXE589EC (manufacturer: 3com) work on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT) with debian 5.0 (Lenny, Kernel: 2.6.26-2-486).
> During the installation process the card was recognized, I could configure the network setup successfully and even access the network mirrors for additional package sources.
> However, after having restarted the laptop at the end of the installation process, I couldn't set up an internet connection anymore.
> I've already searched the web and found this thread: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-laptop@lists.debian.org/msg10944.html
> This is of course for an older version of debian, but it contained some useful information:
> I installed the package pcmcia-cs and added the modules pcmcia and 3c59x to my /etc/modules file.
> > lsmod | grep pcmcia gives me:
> pcmcia         29612 0
> pcmcia_core    31888 1 pcmcia
> firmware_class  6656 1 pcmcia
> > lsmod | grep 3c59x
> 3c59x  36136 0
> mii     48674 1 3c59x
> As far as I can see, this is correct, but lspci doesn't list the card and pccardctl ident returns no results.
> Moreover,
> > ifup eth0
> says, there's no such device.
> Could anyone give me a hint on which additional diagnostics I could do in order to fix the problem?

I actually have a 3Com card which may be from the same lineup (3CXM556
- a 16 bit 56K hardware modem), although I doubt that I'll be able to help
you.

A couple of suggestions:

I) post the dmesg / syslog output from the card insertion
II) ifconfig -a

[BTW, please wrap your lines.]

Celejar