Setting up a network connection with the card 3CXE589EC (3com)

Hello everybody out there using debian,
I'm trying to make the network card 3CXE589EC (manufacturer: 3com) work on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT) with debian 5.0 (Lenny, Kernel: 2.6.26-2-486).
During the installation process the card was recognized, I could configure the network setup successfully and even access the network mirrors for additional package sources.
However, after having restarted the laptop at the end of the installation process, I couldn't set up an internet connection anymore.
I've already searched the web and found this thread: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-laptop@lists.debian.org/msg10944.html
This is of course for an older version of debian, but it contained some useful information:
I installed the package pcmcia-cs and added the modules pcmcia and 3c59x to my /etc/modules file.
> lsmod | grep pcmcia gives me:
pcmcia         29612 0
pcmcia_core    31888 1 pcmcia
firmware_class  6656 1 pcmcia
> lsmod | grep 3c59x
3c59x  36136 0
mii     48674 1 3c59x
As far as I can see, this is correct, but lspci doesn't list the card and pccardctl ident returns no results.
Moreover,
> ifup eth0
says, there's no such device.
Could anyone give me a hint on which additional diagnostics I could do in order to fix the problem?