Re: Transfering files via crossover ethernet cable: What to configure?

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> AFAIK most of the present day network hardware have Auto-MDIX
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-MDIX
>> My T42, three years old has this, so one really does not have to bother.
> This is very, very interesting, thanks! Do both sides have to support
> this for it to work, or is one side enough?

One side is sufficient I guess.

>>> Can I configure an FTP server locally, that would allow for easy
>>> connection via Windows Explorer, Konqueror, and Nautilus? I need the
>>> ability to transfer files in both directions. Thanks in advance for
>>> any ideas.
>> I would suggest using Samba.  FTP is always an option.
> Really? Do you suggest Samba because it works with the Windows
> machines? Should I use it when connecting to other Debian or Fedora
> machines?

You can use it as well.  There are lot of options while copying files between
GNU/Linux installed machines, you can use FTP, scp etc.. I mostly
use scp to copy between peer's.

> Also, as there is no router involved, how would the the "other"
> machine connect to my machine? Will I need to install a DHCP server?
> Can I assign a name to my laptop, so that the other machine could just
> connect to that name?

one can connectly directly with an ethernet cable.  assign I.P's in
the same subnet
(example and there's network between
two computers.
You don't need DHCP, thats basically required for managing networks
when there are more
clients.  I don't know the kind of setup you need so unable to
comment.  Ideally you
might think of getting a switch(maybe wireless but less speed) and
connecting the different
computers, again I don't now the requirements.  Naming requires DNS support.

If you intend to setup basic networking you might want to read:

Rusty's others documentations are interesting and fun as well.

Debian has all the tools you might require for doing your networking tasks.