Transfering files via crossover ethernet cable: What to configure?

I often need to transfer large files from my notebook to other
computers. I use an 4 GB disk on key device for the purpose, but as I
have a crossover ethernet cable I figure that I might be able to
connect the computers directly. I would like to avoid configuring
anything on the "other" computer as they are not my computers (they
belong to people I study with). They are mostly Windows computers, but
there are a few Debians and one Fedora machine in the crowd.

Can I configure an FTP server locally, that would allow for easy
connection via Windows Explorer, Konqueror, and Nautilus? I need the
ability to transfer files in both directions. Thanks in advance for
any ideas.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com