Re: VM Ware Player under Debian Lenny AMD64 on laptop

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:21:29PM +0400, James Brown wrote:
> >> [ 0.148009] CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz stepping 06

So your system has a T5500 stepping 6.

> I cannot find in the above output of dmesg the type of my CPU.
> There is an information that it can be Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 or T7400
> or T7600 In the manual of my laptop.
> In the site directed by you I find that E8190 does not support Intel
> Virtualization Technology.

The E8190 is a desktop CPU not a mobile CPU.  It is a special OPEM version
of the E8200 with VT and a few other features removed so HP (I believe)
could sell a box for less than $399 or whatever their price point was,
never mind the features the customer lost.

> I cannot understand that concirning my CPU.

Well the T5500 is listed as sometimes having VT depending on the stepping.
It seems yours is one of the T5500s that does not have VT.  Most T5500s
appear to not have VT.

--
Len Sorensen