Re: gnome-volume-manager. Howto debug ?

"J.Keßler" wrote:
> since some update the gnome-volume-manager does not work anymore.
> The question is now how do I debug this ?

Since I don't use gnome-volume-manager this is a little bit foreign to
me and so I didn't say anything earlier.  But here are some general
ideas.

The update manager periodically will run the equivalent to the
following commands (or aptitude if you are patient):

  # apt-get update

Therefore I would start there.  I would run those commands manually.
The apt-get update should complete without errors.  If you see errors
in the output then look in the /etc/apt/sources.list file and correct
those errors.

  # editor /etc/apt/sources.list

If not then look at the output of apt-get upgrade on Stable (currently
Lenny) or apt-get dist-upgrade on Unstable / Sid.

  Stable:   # apt-get upgrade
  Unstable: # apt-get dist-upgrade

Also possible sources of errors are problems in /etc/apt/apt.conf
(missing or empty is okay) or in /etc/apt.conf.d/* too.

If it works manually then it seems like it should work from the GNOME
GUI interface.  But I suspect that there are errors that are
preventing it from updating successfully and that those errors will be
apparent when running the commands and looking at the output.

Notes:
     All of these commands need to be run as the superuser also known as
the root user.  This was indicated by use of '#' in the above.  I
prefer to use 'sudo' for this.  (e.g. "$ sudo COMMAND") But didn't say
that because it requires that you both have sudo installed and
configured to allow you to use it.  I recommend that you do this for
general use in the future.
     The 'editor' command is a Debian alternative that points to
whatever is configured as your default editor.  I could have said
'emacs' or 'vi' or 'vim' or 'nano' there instead.  You can configure
the default editor with 'sudo update-alternatives --config editor'.
     Your email name has double quotes in the name.  That is very odd
and requires your mailer to quote the quotes.  That is very odd.  It
would be better if that were fixed.  Simply remove the quotes from
your name.

Bob