Radeon Mobility M7 (7500, T41) very slow 3D

After the recent Xorg upgrade the 3D performance of my T41 with an
afore mentioned Radeon Mobility M7 (7500) chipset has gone from smooth
3D performance to very slow and choppy.  I can't tell that I'm missing
any relevant packages, as no dependencies are unsatisfied at the
moment.

All of the GL Xscreensaver modules are now very slow and jerky and the
new KDE4 will not enable desktop effects which the forthcoming Kubuntu
9.04 supports on the same hardware without issue.

Ideas?

- Nate >>