Re: can not select video card and set resolution with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 10:11 +0800, gulfstream wrote:
> 2009/4/9 Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be>
>
>         On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 10:03 +0800, gulfstream wrote:
>         > My debian is testing. I found I can't use dpkg-reconfigure
>         > xserver-xorg to select the video card and set resolution
>         > yesterday. I
>         > could set keybord layout, but the interface for selecting
>         the
>         > video
>         > card and seting resolution does not be showed.
>
>         Nowadays, there is (almost) no need to specify the video
>         driver and
>         resolution in /etc/X11/xorg.conf... thanks to xorg
>         auto-configuration
>         and X-Window's randr.
>
> I want to use compiz in my x200s with debian testing. Because the
> xserver-xorg-video-intel is 2.3.2, it does not support the Intel GMA
> 4500 video card, it use vesa. When I start compiz, it does not work,
> the message as follows,

A while ago, I tested a Thinkpad T400 under Lenny, which worked quite
well. I assume the video chipset is the same.

The "known stable" and recommended video driver for the T400 is the
vesa. (Lenny-and-a-half will provide improved hardware support for
Lenny, but I guess it won't be released before the end of the year).

> Checking for Xgl: not present.
> No whitelisted driver found
> aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

However, You might want to try enable Lenny's "intel" driver, which have
[untested] support the 4500.

That's explained in:
http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad/T400/lenny

>         See Gnome menu>System>Preferences>Screen Resolution.
>         Personally, I also use lxrandr on my laptop (despite the fact
>         I use gnome).

Then, this should work.

Frnaklin