Re: Starting fresh on my Toshiba A105-S2101 and want a custom kernel

Daniel Pittman wrote:
<snipped>
> The OP didn't mention anything about boot time, though, and the most
> commonly cited reason for a custom kernel (in my experience) is "speed",
> where the poster assumes that a generic kernel must, necessarily, be
> slower than a custom one.

That was my assumption as well.  I was under the impression that if the
kernel had less to sift through then it would be faster.  Now that I'm
looking at it I can see that, once booted, it is only using the modules
that it needs.

It would seem that compiling the kernel is only necessary if I had some
kind of exotic hardware, although boot time gains can be had from a
custom kernel.  I'm still planning on learning how to build a custom
kernel sometime in the near future, but right now it is not quite as
important.  Still, I would like to see exactly how fast I could get the
laptop to go from GRUB to my FVWM-Crystal desktop. :)

As a side note, A friend of mine installed Arch Linux on the laptop in
an effort to lure me over to his camp.  I really liked how fast it
booted into X and how small the footprint seemed, but can't see any
compelling reason to swap distros (mostly because I'm more comfortable
using Debian I would guess).

Preston

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/