Re: Starting fresh on my Toshiba A105-S2101 and want a custom kernel

Den Wednesday 08 April 2009 03.44.30 skrev Daniel Pittman:
> Preston Boyington <preston.lists@gmail.com> writes:
> > After happily using my laptop for the last couple years I've decided
> > to streamline it a good bit.  My hard disk that contains the existing
> > Debian Sid install has been replaced with a clean drive.
> >
> > I believe I could get some speed with a custom kernel
>
> That is extremely unlikely.  Is there any particular reason you believe
> that a custom kernel would be faster?
>
> > and would like to know how much trouble it will be to create one for
> > this laptop.
>
> Use the `kernel-package' tools to build an appropriate Debian package
> from the upstream kernel.  As to how much trouble ... that really
> depends on how much configuration you want, and how much you enjoy
> supporting your own kernel bugs.
>
> > Is anyone running one on their (similar) system?
>
> No, because the added cost is not worth it, especially considering there
> is pretty much zero benefit to a custom kernel for "performance" reasons.
>
> > After I get the kernel compiled, can I just apt-pin it to keep it from
> > getting upgraded later?  Examples?
>
> Using the `kernel-package' tools, which are well documented, none of
> this is an issue any more than the current Debian kernels are.
>
> Regards,
>         Daniel

I've been compiling my own kernels since 2.6.18 and though I really don't get much of a change in
performance boot time can be shortened quite a bit (in my experience) by a 'custom' kernel.
I started doing it mostly to learn how it's done and to try out some "fancy" stuff with the intel
chips that's been in most of my laptops. Since I don't care very much 'bout that whole 'stability'
nonsense I pull the git tree once every to weeks and then compile it (spare cycles... whith the
amount of power in modern cpus, why not?).
I might add that running a 'slightly' newer kernel then what's available in debian actually
sometimes adds some 'performance' (and alot of excitement...)

---
//E.Sundin