Re: Help Installing Lenny on IBM ThinkPad R51 2887-MQ5

> My main objective is to have least software.

you could start with the installation of the "base" system only plus either KDE, Gnome, or Xfce,
and then install software on the as-needed basis. This way you'll keep software to a minimum,
but might miss specific useful packages (e.g. from the "Laptop" task, if you don't select it at installation).

IMO, Gnome is easiest to start with. Xfce is the least resource-hungry. KDE is highly configurable.

> My system has 37.7 GB Hard Disk space.

my / partition is 14GiB, and it is about 90% full - but I have ~2400 packages installed, including
all the listed above desktop environments, which won't be a case for you :)

> Is it a good idea to install everything on one partition i.e. whole Hard
> Disk ?

On my laptop, I have a separate 100MiB /boot partition, and 1GiB swap partition.
All the rest is under a single / partition.

But you may want to have a separate /home partition for your files.

> And I have read somewhere issues about shutting down. May i know which
> command should I use to shut down the system.

from a shell:
sudo halt

however, I haven't seen any problems shutting down and powering off for a long time,
when using DE's "Shutdown" menu.

> I am downloading the iso dvd image through bittorrent.

For the "least software" approach you might have been better with a netinst image - provided that your internet link
is reliable and at least 1 mbit/sec fast.

netinst is possible from a usb stick as small as 256MiB.

Bogdan

http://FREEhost.com.ua - доступный хостинг, домен в подарок