Re: Help Installing Lenny on IBM ThinkPad R51 2887-MQ5

* perfectionism (iam.perfectionism@gmail.com) [31.03.09 12:21]:
> Is it a good idea to install everything on one partition i.e. whole Hard
> Disk ?
> Or should I make partitions at the time of installation ?
> So if I use Separate ( partitioning scheme ), how do I allocate disk
> space seperately for each partition ?

Well, since you stated, you do a lot of encoding, I think multiple
partitions are better, so if anything goes wrong and filling up the
disk, only your /home partition fill fill up, leaving your system
responsive and working, and it is easier to clean up the mess.

> And I have read somewhere issues about shutting down. May i know which
> command should I use to shut down the system.

I only know about some issues about powering down after shutdown.
Searching the mailing lists should reveal insightments on this issue.

> I have one more issue.
> I am downloading the iso dvd image through bittorrent.
> May I know what are the software packages are included in the
> "debian-500-i386-DVD-1.iso.torrent".

If you have the possibilty to do use internet during installation you
you try the netinstall: the iso is far smaller, and any needed (and
only those!) are downloaded within the installation process.

> I have only one system. Any suggestions or ideas or warnings are helpful
> for me.
>
> Thank You,
> @Bhagya :-)

HTH
Sebastian

--
 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. "      Karl Marx

 SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER         mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de