Re: Lenny fan level "auto" not fast enough, Thinkpad x60

From what my gpu-knowledgable friends tell me, laptops
can have (in the windows world) hamstrung drivers for their
graphics chipsets as laptops can have poor cooling for GPUs:

Whether or not that's true, as the graphics support on my laptop has improved, (in performance terms) as the Xorg drivers have advanced
it has become more likely to overheat when providing me with 3D
gee-whizzery.

I know it's the GPU pverheating because it has a separate sensor
which I can get at through /proc: the CPU temperature seems to behave.

I get around this when I know I'm going to be driving the GPU hard
by setting the thinkpad fan level to "disengaged" (this actually means
the control loop is disengaged, so you get maximum fan speed - it is,
however, hellishly noisy in this state) and/or tuning down the radeon
in my t43p with rovclock.

This may or may not apply to the x60 in general, or your laptop in particular, but it's another point worth considering.

(I found the info about "disengaged" and rovclock on thinkwiki, btw).