Lenny fan level "auto" not fast enough, Thinkpad x60

Greetings list,

My thinkpad x60 1706-BS8 overheats while compiling/rendering if
/proc/acpi/ibm/fan is set to "auto".

I have been running Lenny for quite some time and it used to be fine.
The problems started sometime this autumn, perhaps around the kernel
upgrade. The way I currently get around the problem is by issuing

echo level disengaged > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan

Unfortunately I sometimes forget to do this when starting a compile or
a rendering which results in the computer shutting down.

Is there a way of setting the max speed for "level auto" to a higher
setting or enabling "level disengaged" when the temperature reaches a
certain level?

And just out of curiosity are anyone aware of what changes might have
caused the problem.

Thanks
--
TWFB  -  PGP: D7A420B3