Re: CPU temp?

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:41:35AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> What could explain the differences between these reported temperatures?

> coretemp-isa-0000

2 degC betwwen cores doesn't sound too much, also considering param spread
etc. The ACPI value comes from other module - might be an average, and the
acpi module might use a different formula and/or different params (the
coretemp is likely more correct, being very hw-specific).

> Also, am I to believe that "crit = +100.0??C" means that the CPU can
> get up to 100 degrees before damage? This is an Intel CoreDuo

120+ degC actual silicon T isn't uncommon as max operating T. 100 degC
is likely a derating which allows for a reasonable margin before the
chip goes out of spec. Physical damage occurs at quite higher T.
Of course, don't expect much long-term reliabilty if you keep your chips
close to that limit for long time (or better, with high duty-ratio).

--
paolo