Thinkpad R61 Keys- Debian Lenny

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad R61.

I'm running Debian Lenny with a minimal install of XFCE and selected "laptop" at the tasksel option in the installer and nothing else (installed xorg, xfce, etc afterward).

The Brightness and Volume/Mute keys do not work and I have researched how to get them operating but the options I have found all offer slightly different ways to do it. Hibernate, Thinkpad light works ok.

In Xubuntu 8.10 the keys all work without any post install config needed. Does anyone know what packages/config that Ubuntu uses to achieve this? I have booted the Xubuntu Live CD and looked around but cannot figure it out.

Thanks