Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 23:17:47 +0100
Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

> Clayton wrote:
>
> >On 31 Oct 2008 12:06:40 GMT
> >bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

> >>iface eth0 inet static
> >>        address 169.254.255.1
> >>        netmask 255.255.0.0
> >>        gateway 169.254.255.1
>
> I have indeed been able to ping 169.254.255.1, and it pinged
> allright. But I am not sure whether I was really pinging the Fonera
> or playing virtual, since such pinging also worked when the cable to
> the FONERA was being disconnected. Ping did work anytime as long as I
> had put said address in the iface command of
> the /etc/network/interfaces file.

With the above setting, ping would work with or without a cable,
because you have set your own computer's eth0 to 169.254.255.1. So when
you ping 169.254.255.1 you are pinging your own computer, which will
always work.

> locking happens, you must re-initialize the internal program of your
> Fonera, which is a very hazardous and complicate process : press the
> underneath reset button using a pin or other tool, keep it pressed
> for at least 30 seconds, or until such light comes out on your
> module, then unplug the power inlet while you keep the init button
> pressed, keep it that way for at least 45 seconds or until such or
> such light goes out or on (can' remember exactly), then plug again
> and keep pressing, then 45 seconds later you release the pressure on
> the init button... and then you wait at least 15 minutes before you
> try connecting to the internal system with your browser... One
> contributor admitted that he had to re-do that init process 6 times
> before he could again connect...

Except for the final "wait 15 minutes" part, this is not so unusual.
Most routers have a similar, somewhat painful "reset to factory
defaults" process. I doubt it is actually dangerous in any way, it is
just irritating because it can be difficult to get right, and it is
hard to be sure whether one was successful on any given attempt.
Honestly, for this and other reasons, I don't much like commercial
routers. I have taken to building and using my own routers out of old
Debian-equipped laptops (a Pentium One with two PCMCIA slots will do
just fine) whenever possible. It is actually not that difficult. And
that way I can see what is going on, and control what is installed.

> In any case, I can now realize that I am not going to go anywhere
> with this, so I have ordered a pcmcia WiFi card for my laptop.

Indeed, some battles just are not worth continuing, and it can be very
fruitful to try to solve the problem in a different way.

> I'll let you know if I can get it working alright.
> Thanks a lot for your help

Your welcome, and good luck.
Clayton