Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

Clayton wrote:

On 31 Oct 2008 12:06:40 GMT
bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

the /etc/network/interfaces file, which I made as follows :

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
       address 169.254.255.1
       netmask 255.255.0.0
       gateway 169.254.255.1

This looks wrong. Normally your router is at 169.254.255.1, which is
why you set "gateway 169.254.255.1". You then set your own static IP to
something higher, 169.254.255.2 for instance.

Now, in this state, that is, with eth0 configured with the FONERA
address, what should I do so as to go further, I mean, to make sure
that this address - that pings all-right - really comes from the
FONERA, and how can I get that FONERA to wireless connect to my DSL
box/router and bring an internet connexion up ?

If your router is at 169.254.255.1, and your eth0 is set to
169.254.255.2, you should be able to ping 169.254.255.1 if all is well.

I have indeed been able to ping 169.254.255.1, and it pinged allright. But I am not sure whether I was really pinging the Fonera or playing virtual, since such pinging also worked when the cable to the FONERA was being disconnected. Ping did work anytime as long as I had put said address in the iface command of the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Most routers provide a control interface if you point your web browser
at them, in this case, point your browser at 169.254.255.1.

Well, this interface I can connect to, via Internet Explorer under Microsoft Windows. With Firefox under Debian Linux, I have been able to connect only once ; I can't remember whether it was with my Desktop or my laptop ; the former has a Wireless card installed, the latter does not, which normally should not make any difference, but it may still do. Browsing Google lead me to links and documents coming from people using the Fonera, either under MSWIN on on various Linux distros. All of them use that Fonera, not in a client mode as I wish to, but so as to provide internet connexions for other PC ; therefore their Fonera is being cable connected, not to one computer, but to their DSL box/router. So, I can't really get much of their experience. However, as far as connecting to the fonera interface, they mostly agree that is not very easy : Once you have connected once, you have to keep connecting from same computer all the time, if you try connecting from another PC, it will fail and then you are no longer able to connect with the original computer either. When this locking happens, you must re-initialize the internal program of your Fonera, which is a very hazardous and complicate process : press the underneath reset button using a pin or other tool, keep it pressed for at least 30 seconds, or until such light comes out on your module, then unplug the power inlet while you keep the init button pressed, keep it that way for at least 45 seconds or until such or such light goes out or on (can' remember exactly), then plug again and keep pressing, then 45 seconds later you release the pressure on the init button... and then you wait at least 15 minutes before you try connecting to the internal system with your browser... One contributor admitted that he had to re-do that init process 6 times before he could again connect...

Well, this is it, I give up. I would have given up a lot earlier than that, had it not be that I have seen this system working on my laptop under Microsoft Windows 98, as a router on client mode, cabled connected to the outlet of my EtherJet pcmcia card, getting a workable internet wireless connexion even though I don't have a WiFi card installed on this laptop. True enough, the only time I have seem this working on my laptop under MSWIN was with that EtherJet card, not with the D-Link 660 card which I now use, since EtherJet is not being reckognized by my Linux system. In order to try learning something more, I have more recently tested that Fonera again on my desktop under Mswin XP, that is, without pcmcia card but with a wireless card inside. It did work and i got a wireless internet connexion through my fonera - not through my wireless card, but this connexion was not workable. i mean that the mswin system said that the connexion was OK, at an address compatible to my dsl/router, that it was a good connexion with 100% packages OK etc... but then I could not connect to anything on the Internet... Internet Explorer said that it couldn' t resolve the address that I had requested (but in Windows I don't know how to configure DNS, and, besides, if it resolves OK when connected with a more classic connexion, I don't understand why my dns would be wrong.

In any case, I can now realize that I am not going to go anywhere with this, so I have ordered a pcmcia WiFi card for my laptop.

I'll let you know if I can get it working allright.

Thanks a lot for your help

Bernard

I don't
know anything about the Fonera, which I believe is a somewhat
non-standard router,

It surely is non standard. At first, I just wanted to wirelessly connect to the Internet, using a wireless pcmcia card or usb system, and I asked what card would be supported. Then someone explained that wireless cards and usb systems where not very efficient on laptops, especially old ones, and that it was a lot better to use a router such as Fonera. Since he had one to sell, I bought it and here we go. True enough, it was very cheap, but I am sorry that I have spent so much time on it, especially since it was helpless to ask questions to the man who sold that fonera, because he didn't know anything about Linux.

so once you have established control of the router,
perhaps specific questions about configuration should be addressed to
their own forum: http://boards.fon.com/

Clayton