Re: PC Speaker cannot be disabled

Thanks Florian.  ALSA seems to load an module for the PC speaker when pcspkr is blacklisted and not loaded.  So it is necessary to blacklist pcspkr and mute the module loaded by ALSA.  If pcspkr is not blacklisted ALSA does not load its own driver for the speaker so you can turn off the speaker just be rrmmod pcspkr.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 00:31:07 +0430, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use Debian on my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.  By default, the laptop
> produces a very loud, ugly, and annoying beep when, for example, you use the
> tab completion in the console, etc.  I used to disable the beep by adding
> "blacklist pcspkr" in /etc/modprob.d/blacklist in Etch.  It worked in Etch
> and even until recently in Lenny (I have now the most recent snapshot of
> Lenny).  But this is not working in Lenny anymore.  I use "lsmod | grep
> pcspkr" to see if the module has been loaded but it is not there.  When I
> used "modprobe pcspkr -v" it says that the module has been loaded (only
> shows a path to the module file with no errors printed) but "lsmod..." does
> not show anything loaded.
>
> Can anyone help me disable the PC speaker like before?  It really is
> annoying.  Thanks in advance.

Check if ALSA lists the PC speaker as a card:

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                     HDA Intel at 0xdfdfc000 irq 16
 1 [pcsp           ]: PC-Speaker - pcsp
                     Internal PC-Speaker at port 0x61

On my Sid system this started when I upgraded to kernel 2.6.26; like
you, I suddenly got the beep again even though the pcspkr module was not
loaded. I could silence the PC speaker by running

alsamixer -c1

and muting the "PC Speak" control. (Move to the control with the cursor
keys, press "M" to mute, ESC to exit. The new setting should be saved
and restored automatically across reboots by /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.)

--
Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
         Florian   |