PC Speaker cannot be disabled

Hi all,

I use Debian on my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.  By default, the laptop produces a very loud, ugly, and annoying beep when, for example, you use the tab completion in the console, etc.  I used to disable the beep by adding "blacklist pcspkr" in /etc/modprob.d/blacklist in Etch.  It worked in Etch and even until recently in Lenny (I have now the most recent snapshot of Lenny).  But this is not working in Lenny anymore.  I use "lsmod | grep pcspkr" to see if the module has been loaded but it is not there.  When I used "modprobe pcspkr -v" it says that the module has been loaded (only shows a path to the module file with no errors printed) but "lsmod..." does not show anything loaded.

Can anyone help me disable the PC speaker like before?  It really is annoying.  Thanks in advance.

Nima